Fragrant Rose Competition
8, 9, 10 June 2018
Armand Zinsch President of the French Society of Roses
The technical panel and a panel of international perfumers: throughout two seasons, a technical jury considers the candidates and notes their morphological and developmental characteristics.
In 4 phases, at least 320 scores are given to each variety and the average makes up their technical score.
The selection process is harsh, scores from 6 to 10 are eliminated, only the varieties that have received the best scores are submitted to the panel of "Grands Nez" (Great Noses) which is composed of notable international perfumers.
This panel considerers the candidates just once to determine the quality and intensity of the fragrance and to determine the two award winners.
“Grands Nez” jury members :
- • 12 leading international perfumers
- Technical jury members
- 1 landscape architect
- 1 specialist in plant diseases
- 1 nursery specialist or 1 rose garden specialist
- 1 award winner of the City of Nantes Floral competition
- 1 representative from the Nantes’ flower shows committee
- 1 representative from the National Federation of Gardeners
- 2 employees of the Nantes’ Green Space and Environment Services (SEVE/Services Espaces Verts et de l'Environnement) who are responsible for the rose garden